The second church making up the union Carnoustie Panbride is Newton Panbride. Although less ancient than Panbride it has an interesting history and has celebrated over 150 years in being.
Newton Panbride was a product of the Disruption of 1843 and started life as a congregation of the Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland. Later, in 1900, through the union of the Free and U. P. Churches it became a United Free congregation, and then in 192 returned to the fold of the established Church of Scotland with the great union of that year when it became Newton Panbride.
The Free Church of Panbride was born on Sunday 19th June 1843 when 186 names of those ‘coming out’ from the established church were placed on a communion roll; Mr Trail who presided at the meeting coming to this decision was the son of the parish minister and a probationer of the Church of Scotland. He afterwards became the first minister of the Free Church.
These names were received at an act of worship in the barn at Westhaven Farm. Lord Panmure had refused to grant a site for the building, but a brave friend and member of that early congregation, Mr Anderson of Westhaven farm, gave permission to the new congregation to erect a wooden church on the land he rented.
This church, costing £103 , was opened on the first Sunday of Mat 1844 and served as God’s House for ten years. When Lord Panmure died in 1852, his successor Hon. George Maule granted the Deacon’s Court the site of our present church and manse, with a gift of £100 and free use of local quarries at Drumfind.
The new church was opened for public worship on 1st May 1855, and the new manse in 1858.
A little over 30 years afterwards, in November 1887, a disastrous fire occurred after the communion day and it was nine months before the people returned to a church with its alterations.
When the two congregations were linked in 1956 the minister Rev. John Cumming of Newton Panbride became the minister of the two congregations, each with its own kirk session office bearers, buildings and organisations.
In September 1961 the final step of union took place when the two congregations became the one congregation of Carnoustie Panbride.